Friday, August 04, 2006

Let them eat cake


I very rarely eat cake and I think it must have been 5-6 years since I last set foot inside a bakery. It's not that I don't like cakes and sweet things, it's just that, well, I rarely touch the stuff.
Yesterday my 3 year old niece and her mother (my sister) came to visit, and since they, especially the little one, absolutely adore cakes and pastry I felt obligated to swing by the local bakery and buy some treats after work. Remembering that my niece really likes "Potato cake" (no veggies in there. It's basically vanilla cream inside some kind of baked dough with marzipan on top) so I had my mind firmly set. I wanted potato cake. The young girl in the bakery informed me that potato cake had sold out and I kindly declined her alternate offers and went away thinking that I could just pick up the cakes at another bakery.

4 bakeries and 0 potato cakes later it slowly dawned on me that this was a particular popular type of pastry and that the entire city was sold out and had been sold out since around noon. No potato cake. I was in a potato cake dessert.

What makes me wonder is that all the bakeries I visited had the same kinds of cake left at 17.45 and I wonder if bakers are just very poor at forecasting their sale or if there is some economic reason behind the fact that after 12.00 it's impossible to buy certain varieties of pastry because they sell out?
So, potato cake must be a very un-democratic pastry if the only way to get it is if you're unemployed or having a day off or something, so you can actually go to the bakery before they sell out?

I got 3 pieces of Danish instead. 2 are gone, mine is in the bin.

JB

No comments: