Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Black hat llist


As mentioned earlier I find it difficult to find motivation for my work at the moment. I know that all jobs has their dark sides and are loaded with tasks that are dull and boring so I've made a list of the things that are annoying me the most for the moment:

1 - The fact that we'll have to move office soon means that I'll know face a 50 min. morning commute through heavy traffic. The commute back will take around 40 min. for a total of 90 min. a day. Presently my total commute time is 25 min. so this represents a 260% increase in time spend in agonizing pain on the roads of greater Copenhagen. Using public transportation is not an option, as I need the car for work.

2 - The fact that "The company that shall remain nameless for keeping my job reasons" has decided to increase my yearly revenue target (thus lowering the commission pay) 45 days BEFORE the end of the fiscal year. Of course it's in the contract that the company can change the targets at their discretion, but moving the goal posts so close to the finish line is not very motivating.

3 - The fact that the organization is moving towards more centralized control generates a lot of redundant reporting and inputting (is that a word?) as the central people are "struggling to understand our business" All good, but taking item 2 above into consideration I don't really have time to fill out the plethora of spreadsheets and Powerpoints that they keep requesting.

4 - The fact that people on the country levels are reduced to monkies as we're required to run around in circles implementing all sorts of sales and marketing programs that come out of central without any control over local implementation. I'm a seasoned sales executive and I think I should be able to spot a good sales program from a bad one.

5- The fact that the company insists on enforcing an antiquated "Room Sharing Policy" when people get together in large groups for tradeshows etc. This also applies if you're working week-ends and late night. Room sharing is OK if you're in the boy scouts, but asking adult professional people to accept this is ludicrous, especially when considering that the duration of the stay can easily be 4 days or more. I need my privacy.

6 - The fact that the Nordic regional HQ is placed in Stockholm and the Nordic MD is doing everything he possibly can to "bring the group closer together and become more regional" This sounds like a good idea, but in real life it roughly translates into "give us (in Sweden) some information using this template, that closely resembles the template you've already filled out once, only structure the information in a slightly different way" Sigh.

7 - The fact that my boss (or rather his boss or his boss' boss) has developed a nasty habit of dumping "urgent things that cannot wait" on my desk. Usually this kind of work needs top priority which means that I'll probably have to spend yet another evening working instead of having fun and chasing women.

8- The fact that I get into the office around 6.30 AM and leave 12 hrs. later while my colleagues (including my boss) are happily living the 9-5 dream.

9 - The fact that lately some boring and recurring administrative tasks have been assigned to me because the company is too cheap to hire a sales support person. Usually dirt travels south, but I cannot ask my assistant to do it as she's already got her hands full, so I'm stuck with the lame job(s) of typing in long sequences of numbers in user un-friendly sales support systems.

10 - The fact that my colleagues are annoying me with their endless chatter about gardening, children, pets and all sorts of rubbish that I don't really relate to.

So these are the hard facts. Maybe tomorrow I'll do the positive list and see if I can manage to balance the Ick/Yay-factor.

JB

No comments: