Wednesday, August 30, 2006

From great to good


The new single from Little Man Tate finally hit the streets (and iTunes Music Store) on the 28th. So there I was clicking away impatiently waiting for the downloads to finish. 20 minutes later I'm a bit frustrated and disappointed. I can't believe how an otherwise great and promising band can hype a single totally out of proportions and then fail to deliver the way Little Man Tate does on "House party at Boothy's".

It's not that it's a bad effort, it's just that during the past months I've come to expect much more from the lads. The new single has a dull edge, slightly boring guitar riffs, no in-your-face-beats and the lyrics are showing a desperate lack of imagination and renewal. It even sounds like Jon Windle (vocals) is a bit disattached and I sit back with a feeling that the band itself did not enjoy making this single.

If you're already familiar with Little Man Tate, then go and buy (click, click) the damn single and be happy to support a band with great potential. If you're new to the band I strongly suggest you buy the singles "The Agent" and "What, what you got?" first. That way you'll know what this band is capable of and wont be scared away by the mediocre new single.

Even better. Go see them live. I haven't have the pleasure myself but it's an experience that comes highly recommended.

JB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like it. not as good as down on marie or hello miss lovely, but its good nonetheless.

Finray said...

Pink,

That's right good, but not great....Maybe my standards are too high, but as you mention some of their earlier work is better