Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Black & White

I work with a lot af people from a lot of different countries and thus have good opportunity to observe the little differences between people coming from very different places.
The people who amaze me the most are the French and I can confirm the suspicion that they are very arrogant and self-sufficient, and it's about bloody time somebody told them that:

- French is NOT an international language. In fact French is number 10 after Chinese, English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Portuguese, Bengali and Malay.

- Being French is NOT a quality in itself. Even French people have to work hard to be recognized.

- Bastille Day is NOT an international Bank Holiday and neither is May 1st.

- Working for the same employer for 40 years is NOT something to be proud of.

- You really DON'T need 6-10 weeks of vacation

- Arrogance is NOT and art you need to practice on a regular basis.



I work with a lot af people from a lot of different countries and thus have good opportunity to observe the little differences between people coming from very different places.
The people who amaze me the most are the French and I can confirm the suspicion that they are very cultured and sophisticated, and it's about bloody time more people realize that:

- Traditional French food is ABSOLUTELY fantastic

- French IS an easy language to learn. If you’re familiar with other Latin languages you’ll actually be able to read a French newspaper (well, slowly)

- French women are FANTASTIC lovers

- Some of the most intelligent people I’ve ever met are French



JB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha,

I agree with the list... Including the fact that french women are fantastic lovers...
Though the variety of french food I've had.. Did not leave me begging for more.

Visiting France, if you cannot speak the language is a total waste of time... I spent most of my life believing Americans were arrogant...
But then I met the french!

(Found you via a link to my blog, thanks a lot!! Will return the favour).

xox

Finray said...

Tilda,

Your comment about the Americans being arrogant is right on the money...However, I tend yo believe that more Americans than Frenchmen actually might have something to be arrogant about...

Thanks for the link:-)

JB

"the b" said...

hi

you what?!

the french have SO much more to be arrogant about than americans, in fact most europeans do. americans like to think they're the most civilised nation on earth and forget that they're actually about 300 years behind. europe has moved on from empire building long ago.

sorry political rant but STILL!

b

Anonymous said...

lol.. 'the b'... you stole my rant!!

Yes Americans might have more to be arrogant about, but if they were not only so ignorant and actually knew what these things were... Their mindless ramblings might actually make sense.

Finray said...

The B

It's true that if you look at history, art and culture the French and the europeans in general have much more to be PROUD of, but that doesn't give anyone a green light to be arrogant (arrogance being the subject matter)

My remark about Americans and their arrogance was perhaps not clear. What I mean is that at the moment the US is out-inventing more or less everyone else, and virtually no european country can compete at their level of innovation.
I work for a large US corporation so I know just how arrogant and ignorant americans can be, but I can also see that they are very successful in doing what they do.

The point is that the americans are arrogant about something that takes place right now, unlike the French who derives their arrogance from something in the past.

Tilda,
Right on. Ignorance (and money) is something the Americans have in abundance.

JB