Wednesday, September 06, 2006

No Relation

I share a rather rare and uncommon surname with a guy around my age who also happens to be a rising star in domestic Danish politics. This of course leads to all sorts of questions from friends, acquaintances and business people that I meet. Although only around 260 people has that surname I have absolutely no idea how we connect on the family tree.

It's kind of ironic that I should share name with a politician as in general I go out of my way not to be involved in politics at all. and I quite happily wander through life deftly avoiding anything connected even remotely to politicians or politics.

Generally speaking I have an extremely negative perception of politicians and of the work they do. Most of the time I wonder if they became politicians because they couldn't get a real job and I definitely don't subscribe to the often mentioned reasons people have for becoming politicians. It's always something about "fighting for justice", "giving back to the community" or "social consciousness" when politicians talk about what on earth possessed them to choose that particular line of work. All bollocks to me. I highly suspect that 99% of politicians are driven by big egos, an urge to seek confrontation and a strong desire to make the world conform to their own beliefs.
These are exactly the things that leads a politician to circumvent the truth and ignore facts whilst turning the blind eye to critical details.

Rant over.

JB

No comments: