Friday, September 08, 2006

Amsterdoomed

Business travel comes with many perks but being chained in a the hotel room for work related things-that-cannot-wait-and shoud've-been-done-yesterday-anyway-reasons is definitely not one of them.

So here I am in the fair Dutch capital toiling and typing away on my keyboard trying to catch up on some emerging boss issues that demands attention. I should be taking long leisurely strolls by the canals and enjoying that I really don't have any work-related obligations before tomorrow morning where I'm supposed to staff the corporate booth at yet another industry tradeshow.

I know I should really dry my eyes and just get the job finished so I can join the gang of merry colleagues already putting their sobriety to the test at the hotel bar downing G&Ts like there's no tomorrow.

Amsterdam is a nice city. I call it a reverse-Paris, because in Amsterdam the natives are a cool bunch of laid-back people whereas the Parisians are in general just plain arrogant and snotty. Anyhow, I like Amsterdam, but every time I come here I'm amazed by the large number of foreign tourists roaming the streets drinking, shouting and gawking at the women in the windows.

The liberal Dutch attitude towards cannabis and prostitutes is somehow inspiring the tourists to abandon all forms of good behavior so they monkey about in an various advanced states of intoxication trying to annoy everybody and wreak havoc on the city while the natives are gaping spectators to all the hubbub.

Oh well, now pass the Kleenex, and I'll stop the whining and get back to work, so I can enjoy a bit of Amsterdam before the tourists turn it into an inebriated hellish inferno.

JB

No comments: