Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Babysitting


Last week I was charged with the responsibility of looking after my 4 years old niece a couple of hours while my sister and her husband went to a funeral.
Not having any kids myself I'm not that comfortable around youngsters but at least I managed to sit her down with some A3s and a bunch of crayons. While she was sitting there and I went about the flat doing some chores I was having Frank Zappa playing on the stereo.
The particular album providing the musical backdrop to our activities was "Sheik Yerbouti" (say it out loud..) This choice of music turned out to be most unfortunate as the little toddler apparently enjoyed Franks friendly voice and was singing along (making the words up as she went along) to some of the catchier tunes.

The really, really bad thing was that apparently my niece is quite good at imitating and remembering sounds so when her parents picked her up later that afternoon she was joyfully singing "ram it, ram it, ram it, ram it up your poop chute" over and over again without understanding a word she was saying. Unfortunately my sister and her Aussie husband had no trouble decoding her mumblings and I had to explain what had transpired a couple of times before they at least pretended to forgive me.
Good thing I didn't tell them the title of that particular song: "Broken hearts are for assholes"


JB

No comments: